A delightful brunch dish for that special occasion, infusing the Mediterranean flavours of fresh basil pesto and Parma ham with the classic ingredients of egg benedict, bringing you an inspiring dish to create at home.
4 x Eggs
1 x jar Pesto Verde
1 x Large Tomato
Hollandaise Sauce Vinegar Reduction
1 x whole egg 500ml White Wine Vinegar
1 x egg yoke 10 Black Peppercorns
2 x TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2 x Shallots, finely chopped
150g x Butter, melted Mixed Herbs – parsley, thyme, sage inc. stalks
2 x TBS Vinegar Reduction – made by simmering the ingredients together until reduced by half.
1 x TBS Lemon Juice
- Poach eggs in a large pot of simmering water with vinegar added. Cook until eggs come together and then remove to a cold bowl of water, to stop the eggs cooking further, while you make the sauce.
- To make hollandaise sauce, combine eggs in a heatproof bowl with 2 x tsp cold water, over a pot of simmering water but don’t allow the base of the bowl touch the water. Stir constantly and vigorously with a large whisk. As the mixture warms and combines, the volume of the egg will expand and thicken slightly which takes about 7 mins.
- Remove bowl from heat and as you continue to whisk, slowly pour in the oil first and then the melted butter, until thickened. Add a shake of cayenne pepper and 1 x TBS lemon juice and whisk again.
- Add Pesto Verde and stir well to combine. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Toast muffins, smear with Pesto Verde, top with tomato, more pesto and Parma ham.
- Reheat poached eggs again in the poaching pot for another 2 mins to heat through, drain and arrange on top of the other elements. Pour sauce over all and garnish with a spring of fresh Basil and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
- Enjoy every mouthful……!